Thursday, October 8, 2009

1 month

hard to believe it´s been that long eh? one down, 26 to go...
na, things here are actually going really well. for example, i know how to take the bus back and forth from the training center, i know what foods i do and don´t like, i learned how to build a tree nursery and i mostly know how much money to pay for things and what the denominations look like
and beyond that, spanish is coming along pretty well too. I can have basic to slightly more than basic conversations , I am starting to get to know somepeople around my community and i´m getting along really well with my host family, who have continued to make me feel really welcome here
I have also started to get around Lima alittle bit. last week I went with some other volunteers to check out the catacombs at the big fransiscan monestary here. it was a museum, but there were lots of skulls so I didn´t get bored. Today was a pretty cool day too--we only had a half day of training cuz it´s a national holiday (peru beat chile in a battle that I don´t completely understand because everything was explained to me in Spanish). So after a big lunch of ceviche (raw fish kind f cooked in lime juice--very good) I went with my host brother and father and 2 friends to Lima. We went to a big market that had just about everything you could imagine. I was aqble to buy a full season of simpsons dvds for about US $2, so you can imagine how happy I am. After that we walked out of the market and we bought 3 bags of fresh hard boiled quial eggs to splitas a snack. they were delicous and it was one of those moments where I was just stuck thinking--wow, being in peru is fun and slightly overwhelming and just different.

so yea, that´s life. thanks to everyone who e-mailed after my last post, and I do appreciate it even if I didn´t write back. oh and I don´t know if this will work, but this is a link to some pictures...http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=1536836015/a=10989002_10989002/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/ . and as always, I hope you are all well and Disclaimer: This post reflects solely my own opinions, not those of the Peace Corps or the US government

--alex

No comments:

Post a Comment